||Self Employed, litigation, mediation and arbitration
||Partner and associate n Litigation Department –Willkie Farr and Gallagher
||Lecturer in Law Columbia Law School—Sports and the Law
||Recognized in New York’s Super Lawyers in business Litigation
More than 40 years as a civil trial lawyer with an emphasis on litigating and counseling in complex commercial disputes. Clients included major accounting firms, financial institutions, manufacturing concerns, not-for-profit organizations and Major League Baseball. Amounts in controversy ranged from low six-figures to claims involving $100s of millions. Typical matters included:
- Employment related disputes including discrimination claims as well as claims for violations of non-competition agreements and unfair competition;
- Individually negotiated employer/employee issues including executive compensation including amounts of pay owed upon termination to present and former executives.
- Financial services, manufacturing, and insurance disputes involving allegations of breach of contract, fraud and securities law, including several disputes in the bankruptcy courts;
- Accountants liability disputes including claims for audit and tax malpractice;
- Sports law issues including representation of a professional sports league and individual clubs in litigation and negotiations involving other leagues and clubs, vendors and government agencies on matters including contractual obligations, sponsorship and licensing, and trademark issues and antitrust and other regulatory issues;
Alternative Dispute Resolution Experience and Training
- Participant in mediations and arbitrations for over forty years, in commercial disputes, union-management, wrongful discharge claims and bankruptcy claims.
- Commercial Dispute Resolution Mediator Training Program, March 2011; Advanced Commercial Mediation Training, June 2011; Refresher Training for Mediators, Southern District of New York, November, 2011;
- Member of the Mediation Panels for the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, the United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of New York and for the Supreme Court of the State of New York, First Judicial District, having satisfied Part 146 of the Rules of the Chief Administrative Judge.
- Member of the Commercial Arbitration Panel of the American Arbitration Association
- Arbitrator and arbitration panel chair in customer and employee arbitrations before the FINRA.
- AAA Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics (ACE005), 2010; AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards (ACE001), 2009; AAA Arbitration Fundamentals and Best Practices for New Arbitrators, 2009; NASD, Revised Code of Arbitration, 2007; NASD, New Panel Member Training, 2000.
Admitted to the Bars in New York (1969), Florida (1971), District of Columbia (1983), and U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and District of Columbia among other federal courts.
Education, University of Michigan Law School (J.D. cum laude 1969); London School of Economics (M.Sc. 1966), Cornell University (B.A., Government 1965),
"New York's Amended Attachment Statute: A Prejudgment Remedy in Need of Further Revision," 44 Brook. L. Rev. 199 (1978); "The Port Authority 1962 Covenant: Bar to Mass Transportation," 27 Rutgers L. Rev. 1 (1973).
© 2014, Robert Kheel Law